Monday 22 December 2008

The Christmas message of hope


We went to our church's carol service last night. The nine lessons and carols service is one of those annual events that's so reassuring, particularly in troubled times like these. Year on year, the familiar and beautiful readings and evocative carols drape a cloak of memory over us, binding us to our past.

I can remember reading several of those lessons at services in our school chapel, and in our Norman country church by candlelight at the age of 10. When I was a teenager my mum and I were part of a scratch-choir which met for a hurried practice the day before the service, and made it through the event with a wing and a prayer and a helpful amount of mulled wine!

For me this year, the baby, the symbol of God's love, has a new significance. Regular readers of this blog will know that my husband and I would love a child of our own, and that it's not going to be very easy for us. Hearing those familiar readings inevitably brought my own concerns to the fore. We would dearly love a child of our own by next Christmas. So, as I sat on that cold and rather uncomfortable pew last night, I said a silent prayer of hope that it might happen for us.

Perhaps it will, perhaps it won't, but we've got hope, and that's worth a lot.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

4 comments:

  1. We will be going to mass on Christmas Eve, I will say a little extra prayer for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a wonderful outlook on things. I wish you and your husband all the best this xmas and New Year and sincerely hope that your hope and dream of a baby will become a reality,xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel. Hopefully this new chapter in your life will bring many wonderful changes to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that your prayer gets a beautiful little answer! Here's to looking forward to discovering a little blue line on a pregnancy test some time soon!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

BlogCatalog

Relationship Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory