Monday 21 December 2009

The Christmas message of hope, revisited


Last year, just before Christmas, I wrote this post.

In it, I wrote:

For me this year, the baby, the symbol of God's love, has a new significance. Regular readers of this blog will know that my husband and I would love a child of our own, and that it's not going to be very easy for us. Hearing those familiar readings inevitably brought my own concerns to the fore. We would dearly love a child of our own by next Christmas. So, as I sat on that cold and rather uncomfortable pew last night, I said a silent prayer of hope that it might happen for us.

As I write this I can barely believe how much has changed in the past year. In the comments on that post, Someday wrote that she hoped the move would bring "many wonderful changes" to our lives, and that has really proved to be the case. I couldn't possibly have imagined it then (I could barely imagine the following week, let alone the following year), but in fact the move away from the UK has brought us many, many good things.

At the pinnacle of those things, of course, is the miracle of my pregnancy. I now pray that all goes well (because I take nothing for granted), and that next year we will be experiencing our first ever family Christmas.

I'm also saying a prayer for all those couples who are still waiting for the child they so dearly want. I will never forget how it felt, and I feel for every single one of you as you prepare to bid farewell to this year and usher in the next with as much hope as you can muster. Hope is such an easy word, but such a difficult thing to cling onto in the face of such adversity. Good luck, and God bless you.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

3 comments:

  1. I finally fell pregnant myself! It is my second, but we have been trying for a while longer that I would have liked for #2 to come along. It is a wonderful Christmas gift, so glad to be with child during Christmas as we celebrate Christ's birth. It makes it all seem that much more magical to hear the Christmas story when you are pregnant yourself.

    So glad you got your Christmas wish and that next Christmas you will have a family to celebrate with. God bless! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your compassion and empathy for those of us struggling is awesome. You have such a kind heart and a good spirit - thank you for being so sensitive. I wish you all the very best in 2010 and I am continuing to pray for you and husband and baby!
    ~em

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was awesome post. Enjoyed it very much. Good job.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

BlogCatalog

Relationship Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory