Friday 1 May 2009

Hoorah for Carol Ann Duffy

On a completely random non aviation related note, I was very pleased to hear today that one of my favourite poets, Carol Ann Duffy, has been named Poet Laureate, the first woman to be appointed in all of the 341 years the post has existed. I've admired her work since my teenage days. Here's one of my favourites - which chimed very well with my disastrous teenage relationships!

Valentine by Carol Ann Duffy

Not a red rose or a satin heart.

I give you an onion.

It is a moon wrapped in brown paper.

It promises light like the careful undressing of
love.

Here.

It will blind you with tears like a lover.

It will make your reflection a wobbling photo of
grief.

I am trying to be truthful.

Not a cute card or a kissogram. I give you an
onion.

Its fierce kiss will stay on your lips, possessive and faithful
as we are, for as long as we are.

Take it. Its platinum loops shrink to a wedding-ring, if you
like.

Lethal. Its scent will cling to your fingers, cling to your
knife.

Thank heavens my marriage isn't anything like the above. In fact, hoorah for not being a teenager anymore...! It's vastly over-rated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

BlogCatalog

Relationship Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory