Monday 24 November 2008

In The Bleak Midwinter

Despite our financial and job worries, I'm getting very excited about Christmas already. Some may say I'm still a child at heart (and perhaps I am!) but I don't think it's just about that, really. I personally believe Christmas is all about love - for our family and our friends and neighbours - and that's something we can all get excited about.

The title of this post is my favourite carol. I have several really, but I love the gorgeous tune and beautiful poem it was composed for, despite the obvious fact of course that Jesus was born in the balmy desert and not in the frosty wind of the wintry British countryside. Still, when I hear it I'm immediately transported back to a small Norman country church stuffed full of well wrapped-up locals each holding a candle, and it being so cold that we could all see our breath.

Perhaps I'm lucky, but when I look back over the years and think of all my Christmases, I have warm memories of all of them, despite the inevitable family tiffs that are part and parcel of what can be quite a stressful time.

I'm lucky too that my husband loves this time of year as much as I do. We have strong Christian beliefs, so it has deep meaning for us, beyond the festival of consumerism that it has become for so many.

One of the only few good things that has come out of him losing his job is that this year at least, he's guaranteed to be around for Christmas - all of it! I can't wait, despite the fact we're going to have to restrain from indulging ourselves on presents this year - we'll still have our good old trusty fake tree (£10.99 from Argos, still going strong!) cards on the walls, a home-made Christmas cake, mince pies and some yummy mulled wine.

And of course that thing that money can't buy - lots and lots of good, old fashioned, unlimited love, wrapped up in our warm house and tied with a decadent (but imaginary and therefore free!) big red bow.

Happy Christmas in advance, everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Perfect! That is at least one rather lovely bright side to your unfortuate situation. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard a great thing on BBC Radio 1 yesterday. It was in a segment by Martin from http://moneysavingexpert.com in which he spoke about Christmas having become a consumer farce rather than a Christian celebration. He is advocating Christmas Pre-NUPs that is a PRE-Christmas agreement that you make with the people who matter in your life NOT to buy UNECESSARY PRESENTS. I liked the play on words/acronyms; but also felt that the sentiment was great for people who aren't in a position to, or don't want to waste their money on rubbish over the festive period. I just thought I'd post it here, because it seemed appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a link to what he was talking about: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/nupp/

    ReplyDelete

Followers

BlogCatalog

Relationship Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory