Monday 6 December 2010

A baby just like you

Earlier today I was listening to a Christmas album I've listened to every year since I was tiny - John Denver and the Muppets, A Christmas Together. I'm not exactly John Denver's biggest fan, but I have to say that an album which could have been horribly cheesy actually succeeds in being funny, charming and touching, and I'm looking forward to playing it to my son every Christmas as he grows.

Whilst listening to it, I realised there was a song lurking on there that held a lot of relevance for me this year. John Denver wrote it for his little son. I thought I'd share the lyrics with you. I particularly love the third verse.

A Baby Just Like You

The season is upon us now
A time for gifts and giving.
And as the year draws to its close,
I think about my living.

The Christmastime when I was young,
The magic and the wonder.
But colours dull and candles dim
And dark my standing under.

Oh little Zachary, shining light
You've set my soul to dreaming,
You've given back my joy in life
And filled me with new meaning.

A saviour king was born that day
A baby just like you.
And as the Magi came with gifts
I've come with my gift too

That peace on earth fills up your time,
That brotherhood surrounds you.
That you may know the warmth of love
And wrap it all around you.

It's just a wish, a dream I'm told,
From days when I was young.
Merry Christmas little Zachary.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Words and music by John Denver and Joe Henry

1 comment:

  1. You're so distinctly British, it's funny to see you quoting a favorite from my American childhood :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

BlogCatalog

Relationship Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory