Tuesday 6 January 2009

Infertility: No-one told me...

I found this on an infertility forum, and it really struck a chord with me, so I thought I'd reproduce it here, with some editing. Feel free to add comments if there are things you've experienced:

No-one told me.....

* That a fertility doctor and a baby doctor are the same thing, so every doctor's visit you're surrounded by pregnant women gushing and glowing.

* How hard it would be to log onto Facebook and every single day and look at other people's baby photos.

* That fertility drugs would make me feel simultaneously like a menopausal woman and a hormonal teenager.

* That I would be jealous of everyone who falls pregnant - particularly by mistake.

*That I'd find it extremely hard to visit pregnant friends, or friends with new babies - and that they similarly would feel awkward around me.

*That I'd cry whenever I watched films with babies in them. Seriously, all of them...

* That it can sometimes take YEARS to get pregnant. (And I expected it to happen the very first try!)

*That we could eventually become that 'infertile couple' in the corner that everyone whispers about, and tip-toes around because they are afraid that if they even mention the word 'baby' you'd have a melt-down and cry!

*That I could end up feeling like a failure.

*That I'd have more than two pregnancy tests in the house at one time... in fact, many more than two!

*I would spend years on the pill desperately trying NOT to get pregnant, and when I wanted to get pregnant it would be so hard!

* And that I would cry tears of joy over mucus (if you don't know what I'm talking about my dear male readers, I'd suggest a fantastic book by Zita West called "How to get Pregnant"!)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the joys of mucus. Who would have thought that seeing how long you could stretch it without breaking it would be exciting! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand all of those feelings....I resent having to walk into my OBGYN office because EVERYONE is pregnant and i cant get pregnant....it is almost a slap in the face to have to go there anymore! Hang in there for the month, i know it seems long but you and your sweetie will be together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, been there done that. Its depressing. THEN we adopted 6 kids and I NO LONGER LONG for mucus or any other thing coming out of my body LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

BlogCatalog

Relationship Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory